Your community group or business can help us with a Fund Drive
Some popular ideas include:
- Hold a fund drive at your school, business or community group.
- Hold raffles for a day off with pay, reserved parking spots, getaways, etc.
- Have an “empty your pockets” day (or week) and collect all the pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters from everyone.
- Skip a meal. Ask colleagues to skip a meal and donate the money they would have spent on food. This will also give the participants a perspective on how hunger impacts their daily lives.
- Host a holiday party and instead of bringing gifts, wrap a picture of the gift you would have brought for a friend or colleague to unwrap and donate the money instead.
Steps for setting up a fund drive:
- Register your event
Let us know what you’re planning to do and when your event is taking place. We can provide you with supplies and can even advertise your event on our events calendar. To register your event and coordinate supply pickups please e-mail bwhitehurst2mdc-hope.org
- Choose your location
Be sure that the drop off location is well marked and easy to get to. Posting “MDC Needs Drive Drop-Off Point” signs. Enhance your collection by using MDC collection barrels, sleeves, and posters. Put these where people can see them, but don’t obstruct foot/vehicular traffic. If you’re holding a drive at school consider having barrels inside the entrance where the most foot traffic is.
- Set a date for your drive
- Set a monetary goal for your drive
Be conservative, especially if it’s your first drive.
- Decide on the details
Choose a theme, type of drive, and the duration of the drive. Decide if you want the drive to be a one-time collection event or a multi-week competition between classrooms or offices. Many drives take place over a week or more, so people have a longer period of time to bring in their items.
- Select drive leaders
Select dependable people with good leadership skills, and enough free time to be helpful.
- Orient your drive leaders
Explain the need for for the items you are collecting, confirm dates, and explain drive procedures.
- Spread The Word
Create a slogan that relates to your organization.
Send a list of needed items provided by MDC.
Two weeks before the drive publicize it in school newsletters, online,
in e-newsletters, on posters and bulletin boards.