Energy Assistance

Energy Assistance remains open year-round.

To submit your application and supporting paperwork, apply online or email the documents required below to

Did you know that if you need help paying your utility bills or rent, you can apply for energy and rent assistance directly through MDC?

To apply, you must live within the City of Tacoma limits and meet the income guidelines. 

6 requirements for energy assistance

  1. Picture ID for all household members (AGE 18+)

  2. Social Security cards for all household members of all ages.

  3. Proof of income for the last month (including paystubs, unemployment, fixed income or other documents that indicate your gross income)

  4. Last month’s utility bill or account number

Required forms:

6 requirements for rental assistance

  1. Reside in the Tacoma city limits during the rental period
  2. Have received energy assistance during the current season
  3. Letter of intent signed by the landlord and returned to your case worker
  4. W9 form on file with MDC 
  5. Current lease listing the applicant as a renter of the property or space
  6. Rental invoice or ledger

Eligibility Requirements

 Number of People in HouseholdHousehold Adjusted Monthly Income for LIHEAPHousehold Adjusted Monthly Income for PSE  (Gas Only)

Contact Us

The Energy Assistance Appointment Line Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 
Telephone: (253) 572-5557
Fax: (253) 597-6700

Closed Weekends and Holidays

721 Fawcett, Room 204
Tacoma, WA 98402